Contacting Attendees in China
In case someone needs to contact an attendee in Nanjing, the
following options are possible:
- Send an email message to IAU168@yahoo.com
- Send a FAX to the Nanjing Hotel. Put "IAU 168 Attendee" in
the address together with the name. The FAX number is
+86 25 3422261.
- Telephone the Nanjing Hotel and hope that you find a common
language. The number is +86 25 3411888.
- Send a FAX to the Purple Mountain Observatory, also marked
"IAU 168 Attendee" in the address. Their FAX number is
+86 25 3813496. Note, however, that the meeting
is not physically at, or even very close to, the PMO.
Getting to Nanjing
Usually, air all the way is the best route to Nanjing, especially if
Beijing or Hong Kong is the port of entry. If you can not book an air ticket
from the entry port to Nanjing, please fax your passport (only that page
including your name is needed) to the LOC (Fax: 86-25-3301459, Drs.Yang
Benyou and Ma Yuehua) in advance as soon as you have bought your international
air ticket. The LOC will order a ticket for you from your port of entry
In case you have to stay at the port of entry and/or exit for one night
in order to connect to the flight to Nanjing, the LOC will arrange a hotel
for you to stay. From Shanghai to Nanjing, train passage is also available
(although air travel is recommended). The LOC will meet all the participants
at Nanjing airport (or train station) and take them to their hotel.
The LOC will definitely send some people to meet participants at the
Beijing airport. If need be, the LOC can also meet participants at Shanghai
airport. Right now the LOC does not know how many people will choose Shanghai
as their entry port.
The third annoucenemt will have more details on travel arrangements.
- Please note the following information when
making travel arrangements:
- Hong Kong is the best entry port as there are many flights from Hong
Kong to Nanjing.
- It takes three (3) hours from Shanghai to Nanjing by train
The LOC chose Nanjing Hotel to accommodate most of the participants.
- The above prices include the "conference lunch fee" (about
- It is the same price for a single room or a double bed room.
Feng Yuan Guest House is also available with a price of about $50/day
(including conference lunch fee). However, it will be used primarily for
accommodating students and the participants who will obtain financial support
from the LOC.
Other accomodations in Nanjing will be listed shortly.
The conference hall for our meeting is located in "Nanjing University
- The Johns Hopkins University Center for Chinese and American Studies",
which is equipped with modern facilities.
There are four options open to the participants. Each tour encompasses
a lot of impressive experiences of China.
- Nanjing-Suzhou plus Zhouzhuang-Nanjing (or Shanghai), 3.5 days, price
- Nanjing-Sian, 4 days, price TBD
- Nanjing-Beijing plus Chengde, 7 days, price TBD
Complete itineraries and prices will be included in the second anouncement.
Other information about Nanjing can be found on-line.
has an extensive page on the sights of Nanging. Chinapages
is perhaps the best on-line reference for Nanjing.
For more information, please follow the links below.
Welcome to GoLive CyberStudio
List of Abstracts
Publication of the Proceedings
The Third Announcement
IAU Colloquium 168 Home Page
Financial aid is available
SOC and LOC
Participation in the Colloquium
Submit or revise your abstract.
Travel and accommodation information
Concerns about this website should be addressed to email@example.com
Return to Department of Astronomy Homepage
Return to M.F. A'Hearn's Homepage
Go to IAU Home Page
Go to Solar System Support Pages