|| IAU Division III
Committee on Small Body Nomenclature
Comité pour la nomenclature des petits corps
A Committee of IAU Division III
Terms of Reference
These terms of reference for the CSBN were approved by the IAU
Executive Committee on 15 February 2000.
1. The IAU Committee on Small Body Nomenclature is appointed
by IAU Division III under similar procedures as Divisional Working Groups
(IAU Working Rules 38). It reports to the General Assembly through the
President of Division III. For necessary meetings, the Committee is
eligible for travel support from the IAU.
2. The membership of the Committee includes:
- a minimum of 9 members of IAU Division III, representing a diversity
of geographical and cultural backgrounds.
- the President of Division III. The president may delegate the
divisional representation to another Division member.
- the Director of the IAU Minor Planet Center, who will also serve as
Secretary of the committee.
- the President of the IAU Working Group on Planetary System
Nomenclature or his/her representative.
- additional members up to a maximum of 15, including a maximum of 3
consultants who possess special expertise but are not IAU members.
- a member may be in more than one of the above categories.
3. Appointment and Terms of Service.
The members, including the Chairperson, will be appointed for three years
at each General Assembly by Division III, upon the advice of the outgoing
Committee. Continuity in the work of the Committee is important, so
members are encouraged to serve through several triennia.
4. Names and Guidelines
- The Committee will develop, maintain, and publish guidelines for
naming minor planets and comets, based on the established guidelines.
Significant changes in the guidelines should be submitted by the
Committee to Division III for discussion and approval at a General
Assembly before being put into effect. Minor changes may be approved
by the Division President and reported at the General Assembly.
- The Committee will periodically approve lists of newly named bodies,
with accompanying citations in the case of Minor Planets. Such lists
will be promptly made public by the Minor Planet Center.
- At the beginning of the year of each General Assembly, the Committee
will submit to the IAU General Secretary, through the Division, a list
of all names approved in the immediately preceding three calendar
years. In the IAU Information Bulletin for January of that year, IAU
members will be invited to inspect this list. Any objections based on
significant, substantive problems with these names must be forwarded
in writing to the President of Division III at least three months prior
to the start of the General Assembly. Valid reasons do not include
personal preferences of the discoverers or other individuals.
- Any appeals of decisions by the committee will be considered by
Division III at the following General Assembly. The Division will
submit a report to the General Assembly, indicating the absence or
resolution of any appeals. This report and the list of new names as
possibly amended will be published in the Proceedings of the General
Assembly (or may be cited there if a suitable external reference is
I'm Tired and I Wanna Go Back to:
IAU Division III
Department of Astronomy
M. F. A'Hearn
The Real World
Created: 2000/7/3, mfa;
Last Update: 2000/7/3, mfa